History of Tomball

The original settlers to the area now called Tomball began arriving from Europe in the mid-1800s filled dreams, hope for a better life, and a desire for true freedom in a new home.

These pioneers were pleased to find the thick, lush forests around Spring Creek to be much like the Black Forest of Germany and prime property for a soon-to-be thriving lumber industry. They also found the rich soil throughout the area to be perfect for farming and livestock.

Just after the turn of the 20th Century this simple railroad stop and surrounding community was named Peck, Texas, but soon that all changed. In ceremonies held on December 2, 1907 at the now historic downtown depot, Peck was renamed Tomball in honor of the man responsible for routing the railroad and its operations through the small town . . . his name was Thomas Ball.


Old Building.JPG



History of Public Works

The original Public Works service building was constructed in October 1983. The new Public Works office building was built twenty years later in 2003.

In 1938, the Public Works Department only serviced street and road construction, but starting in the early 1950s and 1960s, the department serviced water, sewer, and gas.

Juergens Park was the first public park in Tomball, built in 1984. Tomball’s Community Center was constructed in 1985. Later, the Little League Fields, now known as the Wayne Stovall Sports Complex, were fully renovated in 1995. Martin Luther King Jr. Park and Jerry Matheson Park were both built in 1996. In 1999, Theis Attaway Nature Park was the last completed park.